Staying active is vital to everyone’s physical and mental wellbeing. Therefore, in-line with current Government guidance, all our parks and open spaces will continue to remain open.
Following the updated Government guidance (10 May 2020), we have now re-opened all our multi-use games areas (MUGA’s), sports courts and pitches, table tennis tables and other communal recreation areas across the City as of 16 May 2020.
Following the updated Government guidance (23 June 2020), we have now re-opened all our playgrounds and outdoor gyms/trim trails across the City as of 4 July 2020.
Please help us, to help you and others stay active and maintain an Active City for All, while staying well. Following the updated Government guidance (1 June 2020), there is now new guidance for using our outdoor spaces and places. The changes mean that you can:
- Spend time outdoors, including our parks, outdoor spaces and places, in groups of up to six people from different households, whilst following social distancing guidelines.
- Get and stay active as often as you like, whilst following social distancing guidelines.
- Take part in other outdoor sports and activities, in groups of up to six people, or household groups, providing you follow social distancing guidelines.
- People who play team sports can meet to train together and do things like conditioning or fitness sessions, but they must be in separate groups of no more than six providing they follow social distancing guidelines.
- Continue to stay local, wherever possible travel on foot or bike cycle where you can. Please avoid public transport.
Despite these changes to the guidance, it’s still possible for the coronavirus to spread from person to person, so please ensure you maintain social distancing from anyone outside your household. As with before, you still cannot:
- Use any indoor sports court, gym or leisure centre, or go swimming in a public pool.
- Gather in a group of more than six (excluding members of your own household).
If you don’t think that’s possible, then there are loads of great ways you can get and stay active at home or out in your garden (if you have one!). There are some great ideas to help everyone stay active on our activity finder, the Sport England website or search #StayInWorkOut on social media.
We will continue to keep this situation under constant review.
You can find information about coronavirus (COVID-19) including what you can do to protect yourself, and the impact of the disease on our services on the main Council website.
Published 27 March 2020
Last updated 04 July 2020
04 July 2020 updated in-line with latest Govt. guidance.
01 June 2020 updated in-line with latest Govt. guidance.
12 May 2020 Updated in-line with latest Govt. guidance.
3 April 2020 Additional guidance on dog walking added.
27 March 2020 First published.